If you were severely injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to contact an experienced lawyer immediately. You should not let go more than a week or two for consulting a motorcycle accident attorney. There is a limited period to file a claim in such cases, which differs from state to state. You must look for an experienced attorney who has several years of experience and has an established track of accomplishments in such cases.
The amount of compensation varies for all cases, depending upon the damage occurred, the amount of lost income, medical bills, and injuries sustained.
It may become hard for injured motorcyclists to claim compensation after a crash, particularly if they are filing a claim without the help of a lawyer. In some states, PIP or Personal Injury Insurance Protection is needed for automobiles with four wheels or more. Therefore, motorcyclists are not allowed to carry the coverage of PIP. If your motorcycle is not insured, you may find it especially difficult to pay the medical bills, particularly when the injury does not allow you to work.
In such complicated cases, the lawyer can explain options to you for procuring compensation for injuries and medical bills. If you get in touch with a lawyer instantly, they can start collecting evidences and information to sustain your statement of compensation. Your attorney may do these things to build the claim:
- Collect police reports
- Collect statements of witnesses
- Click photos of the accident spot
- Investigate the driving history of the motorist
- Rebuilt the scene of accident
- Review your medical records
- Contact your insurance company
- Consult experts
What you should find out about your attorney
After you have told the lawyer about the details of your case, you can enquire about the following things:
- What is the number of years of his/her practice in this field?
- What percentage of an attorney’s practice includes cases of personal injury?
- Does the attorney usually represent defendants or plaintiffs? If you were a plaintiff, you would not like to hand over your case to a defendant lawyer. There are high chances that you will lose the case. The thinking process of a defendant lawyer is very much similar to that of an insurance company and they may not be able to fight your case logically from the point of view of a plaintiff.
- Will the lawyer carry out your case personally? Or, will they pass it to their subordinate? If another lawyer is going to be involved, you can ask to meet him or her too.
Goal of settlement
If you have discussed your case with the insurance company, it will be easier to consult with the attorney about the amount of claim they can get you, what is the level of complications in your case, and how much time it will take to get the claim.
This is the time when you can ask your attorney what they can do in the case:
- You can obtain a particular amount of settlement with minimum costs and hassles.
- Procure the upper limit of settlement amount from the insurance company.
Do not consider the time taken and focus on the amount you can procure.