Seafood is a great delicacy. Fine dining restaurants make sure to include fish and seafood in their menu. The popularity of seafood has given people the chance to enjoy eating these tasty dishes. But did you know that there is seafood that should be eaten, and those that must be not? Included on this list are the seafood that must be and mustn’t be eaten. Or at least you must take caution when eating other seafood.
Seafood You Can Eat anytime
- Sardines – You will not have any problems eating sardines any time. If you eat small class of fish such as sardines, then they can quickly reproduce. The idea behind this is that the smaller the fish, the quicker they reproduce. It means that you won’t affect the marine diversity even if sardines are being eaten every day. Also, another little fish such as anchovies can help sustain millions of people. Plus, sardines and anchovies are cheaper.
- Oysters and clams – Perhaps most people eat oysters and clams. They are a delicacy, and they are truly flavorful. Shellfish are a good pick. Oysters and clams help improve the quality of water. However, they have shorter life spans. They likewise amass fewer contaminants, which is why they can be eaten without affecting their reproduction. You can prepare oysters and clams anytime you want.
- Mackerel – Now, most people eat canned mackerel. But I’m not talking about the canned mackerels. If you want to enjoy the authentic taste of mackerels, buy the fresh variety. Even organic seafood should not be consumed right away. Today, these so-called “organic seafood” are not certified. Instead, look for the wild mackerels. Those that are freshly caught. They are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which strengthen the heart.
- Seafood You Must Be Careful Of Eating On A Regular Basis
- Shrimps – It is discovered that catching shrimps have become controversial. The way shrimps are caught affecting other marine species. If you net shrimps, there is a high probability that there are other marine species (e.g., sea turtles) included. Most of these marine species are killed, injured or dumped on deck. Then they are discarded as if they are nothing.
- “Organic Salmon” – When we hear about “organic foods,” we quickly assume that they are healthy. In this case, farmed salmon must not be eaten. Aside from them not having the essential nutrients, they are also full of parasitic sea lice. People who are involved in farmed salmon give highly-toxic chemical treatment to get rid of the parasitic sea lice. Although it is effective, this toxic compound can be absorbed by the farmed salmon.
- Bluefin tuna – Don’t eat species of fish that might be facing extinction. In the last century, the marine species facing extinction have risen in numbers. This is because of the hunters and the poachers who don’t value the marine life. All they wanted is profit, without actually caring for the fish they catch. It includes Bluefin tuna, as well as sea bass. If you wanted to conserve the marine life on the brink of extinction, you must not eat them.
Things To Know About Finding The Right Seafood
If you want protein in your diet, you must know the right seafood to eat. Most of the time, people look for three things: Delicious, affordable and nutritious seafood. There’s nothing better than to research about the right seafood that can provide you with total satisfaction.
Remember that there are different kinds of seafood that you can choose from. All you have to do is to consider the right choices. Seafood is great! They are tasty, but you must know how to choose the best ones. Let us know in the comment below what you think about this seafood.
About the Author: Carol James is an EssayLab psychology department writer and senior editor. She has MA degree in social sciences and is an excellent specialist in this field. Carol worked with numerous materials on the subject and is eager to share her knowledge with our readers.