CNC – Computer Numerical Control. CNC router cutting machine is a computer controlled cutting machine. It is a handheld machine which is used for cutting various hard materials including wood, aluminum, steel, plastic, foam etc. It has the ability to perform multiple tasks of various carpentry instruments such as panel saw, boring machine, spindle molder. Besides they can also cut tenons and mortises. The CNC router does automatic routing using the computer. So instead of routing manually, the path is decided by the computer numerical control. A CNC cutter can save time, reduce the wastage, and also the errors.
Laser cutting is a technology that uses the Laser cutting in London to cut the materials. The laser cutter was originally used for industrial purpose. But now it has been started to be used even in school, colleges, and even by hobbyists and small businesses. The laser cutting uses the laser optics to determine the path. A typical laser cutting material uses motion control system. The focused laser beam is then directed at the path which eventually melts burns or vaporizes away leaving a surface of a very smooth edge and perfect shape of high-quality finishing. Industrial laser cutters are used to cut the flat sheet material as well as piping materials.
Difference between CNC cutting and Laser cutting
- Laser cutting is a technology that uses laser beams to cut the materials. On the other hand, CNC cutting atomizes the handheld machine. The path is determined by the computer numerical control, but the cutting is done manually only.
- CNC cutting is a cutting done through the direct contact of the tool with the object to be cut. On the other hand in laser cutting, there is no contact of the tool with the object to be cut. The cutting is done from a distance by the focus of the laser beams.
- The CNC cutting is low-cost cutting and hence widely used by schools, small businesses, and hobbyists besides the industries. On the other hand, Laser cutting is an expensive affair as the machine itself is very expensive and hence it is precisely used in large industries where precision is more important than cost?
- In Laser cutting electricity cost is huge as compared to CNC cutting.
- The precision level is very high in the laser cutting. On the other hand, there are chances of mistakes in CNC cutting as it is done using the handheld machine and manual intervention is there.
- There are 3 types of CNC cutting based on the requirement that is CNC woodcutter, CNC metal cutter, and CNC stone cutter. On the other hand, there are 3 types of Laser cutters based on the usage.The CO2 Laser cutter, the Neodymium (and) laser cutter and the Neodymium yttrium-aluminum-garnet (Nd: YAG) cutter. The CO2 cutter is used to cutting, boring and engraving. The Nd cutter is also used for boring. However here high energy but low repetition is required. The Nd-YAG cutter is used where high power is used.
- The CNC cutter cannot be used for welding. The laser cutter can also be used for welding.