Whether you are a driver or a pedestrian, you need to exercise extra caution. Everyone has the responsibility of keeping each other away from harm. You need to consider the safety and well being of other people to avoid causing an accident or getting involved in one.
Busy streets are some of the most common places where most accidents happen. Therefore, if you are traveling on one, you need to be extremely cautious. Looking and focusing on where you are going is an excellent way to avoid a car accident. However, this will only work if both the driver and pedestrian follow traffic rules.
Reasons Why Accidents Occur
Drivers and pedestrians get into a car accident because of several reasons. These reasons are:
- The driver or pedestrian is distracted. Distracted driving causes a car accident because the driver does not have time to focus on where he or she is going. This is also applicable to the pedestrian. They get involved in a vehicular accident because they are distracted while they cross the street.
- The driver or pedestrian does not obey traffic rules. Some drivers and people crossing the street disregard traffic rules and regulations, especially if they are in a hurry. However, this puts them at risk of getting into an accident.
- The driver or pedestrian is drunk. Drinking has negative effects on a person’s brain. Therefore, it prevents one to think and act rationally. Drinking while driving or crossing busy streets while you are drunk can surely put you at risk of getting hit or involving yourself in a car crash.
Tips on Avoiding Car Accidents On Busy Streets
Drivers and pedestrians get into a car accident because of several reasons. These steps are helpful in keeping you safe while you are on busy streets:
- For drivers. As a driver, you need to ensure the safety of your passengers. Because they placed their confidence in you, you must be able to return their trust by taking them safely to their indicated destination. Here are some ways to avoid a car accident if you are a driver:
- Avoid distractions. Before you drive, you need to put away your gadgets and anything that might cause a disturbance to you while you are driving. Do not use your mobile phone and do not eat while you are driving.
- Do not consume alcohol while on driving. Drunk driving prevents you from driving safely. You cannot focus on the road and react when you need to. Therefore, if you are intoxicated, it is best to never drive.
- Obey traffic signs. Follow traffic rules and regulations so you can avoid hitting other cars or pedestrians. Do not beat the red light as this might cause a serious car crash.
- For passengers. Passengers are also expected to exercise the necessary caution when they are on the road. They have the responsibility to:
- Avoid distracting the driver. The driver is required to focus on the road and never to take his hands off the wheel. However, the passengers are expected to refrain from distracting the driver. Avoid playing loud music that may cause the driver to lose concentration. It is also advisable to avoid talking to the driver to prevent him from diverting his attention from the road.
- Wear proper safety equipment. Vehicles have seat belts so the driver and passengers are safe while they are traveling. As passengers, you are expected to wear seat belts at all times. If you have an infant or a child, you must place them in car seats so they have protection during the entire drive.
- For pedestrians. If you are a pedestrian, you need to follow certain safety measures while you are crossing the street. You have the responsibility to:
- Follow traffic lights. Traffic lights designated for pedestrians are available. Therefore, you must obey them to be able to cross the street safely. Stop when the light is red. Once it turns green, you can cross safely.
- Cross on the correct side of the road. Some pedestrians get involved in a car accident because they are crossing on the wrong side of the road. Pedestrian crossings are created to keep people who are crossing the street safe. However, if you fail to obey these simple rules, you are putting yourself at risk.
- Avoid any distractions. Using your mobile phone while you cross the street puts you in danger. Avoid calling, texting, or browsing the Internet when you cross a street.
You are responsible for your safety. You should also think about the safety of your passengers and the people around you. Applying these safety measures while you drive on busy streets can help you arrive at your destination in one piece.
If you need legal assistance in a car accident, it is best to avoid talking to the other party’s lawyer. You should immediately contact your lawyer so he or she can provide legal advice on how to make a proper claim. You can click here to learn more on the legal aspects of a car accident.
Ashley Thompson is a promising young law writer. She hopes to apply her years of study into helping explain legal issues to the public. Ashley loves cooking and often cooks for her family during weekends.