Lasik is a procedure which is used to treat astigmatism, farsightedness and near sightedness. It is a surgical method and the technique involves creating a thin flap in the cornea using a microkeratome blade or a femtosecond laser. The doctor removes the corneal tissues using excimer laser by first folding the flap back. The tissues lie underneath. He then puts the flap back into place and covers the area from where he had removed the corneal tissue from.
Laser treatment for the eyes
Laser eye surgery for near-sighted people is done to flatten the cornea that is very steep. Those who are far sighted need to correct their cornea to make it steep. To correct astigmatism, Lasik is done to smooth an irregular cornea and give it a normal shape.
Before you book surgery packages online, first meet a Lasik surgeon and evaluate if a laser is a viable option for you. The surgeon will first examine your eye’s health and the type of vision correction that should be done to improve your vision. He will also determine the amount of corneal tissue that needs to be removed. Patients who have certain heath conditions may disqualify from a Lasik surgery.
Those who cannot get a laser surgery done can, however, decide to do PRK, LASEK or epi-LASEK which are non-laser vision correction methods. The best procedure will be gauged based on the structure of the eye and the patient’s prescription.
Before you opt for a laser operation
You will not have to stay in the surgery center overnight as Lasik is an outpatient procedure. A computer is used to adjust the laser for the prescription and the patient will be asked to focus on a target light. The cornea is reshaped when the laser sends pulses of light. This is a painless procedure and the duration of an actual Lasik surgery is less than five minutes.
Lasik eye surgery and other laser eye treatments may provide excellent results and the success rates are good. The treatment helps to cure myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. Once treated, the patient can stay without glasses and contact lens.
Lasik surgeries can also cause complications post treatment. These complications are however, rare and can be treated with additional surgery or with some medical remedies.
Lasik surgery is the best way to get rid of your contact lenses and glasses. A part of the cornea is sliced when the laser eye surgery is performed. It is important that the part of the eye is sliced accurately as the remaining part of the cornea is essential for the normal functioning of the eye.
The surgical procedure involves:
- Anesthetic drop
- Creating a flap
- Laser to shape the cornea
- Closing the flap
- Letting the eye heal by itself
Risks of Lasik treatment
There are some risks involved in Lasik treatment:
- Improper astigmatism is where the patient starts to complain of double vision after the surgery
- Epithelium in growth – In this condition, there is a growth of cells from the outer layer of the cornea below the flap which causes discomfort and blurred vision
- DLK or inflammation under flap – This need to be controlled else will cause hindrance in healing and may also lead to loss of vision. The flap is lifted and the inflammation causing cells are removed to prevent any further damage
- Bulging – This is caused when the tissue is removed more than necessary. It can also be caused if the patient had a weak cornea
- Dry eyes post-surgery is caused because of reduction in tear production. The patient may also experience blurred vision or discomfort.
The Lasik surgery cost is dependent on many factors like the type of clinic and the hospital one chooses, the city of residence and the treatments that are associated with the condition. Laser treatment is best if there are no complications and one needs to follow some measures before the treatment to avoid the complications.