Searching and choosing a lawyer is difficult, but it’s even more difficult to find and hire a criminal defense lawyer. That’s something only a person charged with criminal offense would tell you. There are quite a few factors you need to think before hiring:
- Criminal lawyer’s fees
- How much time he will take
- Area of expertise
- Should you go for advertising or should you consider ground realities?
- Success record, and more!
So, how would you go about finding one? What sources will you use? And what factors do you consider for hiring? That’s something really critical in hiring. While you can Passi & Patel lawyers, if you live in Brampton, Toronto or Mississauga, but what if you’re seeking anyone else?This post shows you how.
Here, you can go through the guiding principles involved in searching and hiring a criminal lawyer.
Guidelines for Searching
There are essential guidelines that you should follow when searching for your defense lawyer.
- Perform an online search for a qualified Brampton criminal defense lawyer who is practicing in the location where you are facing criminal charges. Narrow your search by focusing those legal practitioners specializing in criminal cases.
- Pick out the top three or four law firms for your choice of criminal defense lawyer. Screen the lawyer’s credentials and track record. Verify his court experience in the court case that you are facing.
- Visit the websites of the large and most renowned criminal defense associations and check the criminal defense lawyer’s name. You should limit the search for your attorney to those who are affiliated of highly regarded lawyer’s associations.
- Check on the veracity of the claimed area of expertise of the criminal defense lawyer. You can also check the State journal site and local TV stations.
- Lastly, visit or call the law firm to verify if they provide free initial consultation so that you can explore the possibilities for their firm representing you in your court case.
Guidelines for Selecting
You should also consider the following when selecting criminal defense lawyer Brampton.
- Check for published books, articles and treatises that were written by the lawyer. This is a strong evidence of the competence of your legal counsel.
- Verify the number of outright acquittals won by the lawyer. This is a good proof not only on the expertise of the lawyer but also on the degree of preparation and overall court demeanor your lawyer.
- Check on how your lawyer is regarded by his peers and his position in lawyer’s associations.
- If there is a referral for the lawyer from state bars, then you are assured of the competence and integrity of your criminal defense lawyer. You can check the website of the state bar to get the background information of your lawyer.
- Check the feedback of legal experts and criminal law commentators. Watch local TV and radio shows that feature forums on criminal law. Citing and invitation of lawyer in these forums indicate his being highly regarded in the field of criminal law.