Rock music is one genre of music that charges anybody up and literally makes you feel as though energy is bursting out of every pore in your body. The evolution of rock music has been evident in the different styles by legends like Elvis Presley, The Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix, to the more renowned bands of today such as Nickleback, Metallica and Linkin Park.
Rock music festivals date back to the Woodstock Festival in the 1960s, where 32 rock artists played to 400,000 fans for 3 days. That famous event played a critical role in shaping the rock and roll music genre. Far from the days of Woodstock though, below are present-day rock festivals that any rock fanatic must make time to attend:
1. Lollapalooza: Lollapalooza takes place in Grant Park, Chicago. In the course of three days, rock artists like Foo Fighters, Nine Inch Nails and The Killers perform to an average of 160,000 energy filled fans each year.
Due to its expansion, Lollapalooza now takes place in different parts of the world like Santiago and Sao Paulo. This means that if you miss the Chicago concert, you still have an opportunity to see your best rock bands play elsewhere in the world. Check out the eventraveler.com guide of rock festival to find out where the next Lollapalooza concert will be held.
2. South by Southwest: This festival takes place every March in Austin, Texas. Though there’s the paid opening act, you can attend a SXSW act without paying as the artists usually play in bars and other venues in the city.
Besides your usual rock artists like Soundgarden performing, other genres feature acts from artists like Kanye and Jay Z, and some EDM from the likes of Skrillex.
The food and drinks are diverse and in plenty at SXSW concerts and this makes it a great family and friends’ day out.
3. Roskilde: Since 1971, the town of Roskilde, Denmark, has played host to one of the biggest rock festivals in the world. The lineup for Roskilde is always impressive and features hundreds of artists playing over a 4-day period. Famous artists and bands like Rolling Stones, Arctic Monkeys, Stevie Wonder, and Outkast have been part of the lineup in past concerts.
If you want to know how to have fun attending a rock concert in this city of Vikings, refer to creativetimes.co.uk’s guide on rock concert.
4. Coachella: Held in California, Coachella is quite profitable due to its amazing record attendance. In 2014, 579,000 people attended the concert to see acts from the best rock artists. Foo fighters, Nine Inch Nails, Beck, among others, are some of the artists you’ll encounter at Coachella.
Artists from other genres also make appearances adding more vibrancy to the concert.
5. Bonnaroo: Bonnaroo rock concert was inaugurated in 2002 and takes place in Tennessee every June. Over 90,000 fans show up to witness live performances from rock sensations like Metallica, Paul McCartney, Black Crowes, Kid Rock and many others.
There are those that say rock is nearing its end, but with rock festivals still experiencing unrivalled attendance, the rock genre is a long way from being dead. Just attend a concert this year and experience the energy that’s always present.