Let’s face it. Mathematics does not come easy to everyone. It is generally perceived as a subject for people having high IQ. For the geniuses, solving Math complex problems can be quite a cakewalk. But even they get a little perplexed when it comes to Geometry. Ifyou perceive Mathematics as a river, geometry is analogous to the deepest regions, whereas the rest of the topics can come under the other shallow parts. Geometry can be segregated into three parts, namely plane geometry, solid geometry and spherical geometry. Both in terms of concepts and in solving techniques, geometry can be a tough companion.
Some set of rules and tips that will make it less difficult your geometry study session are enlisted below:
- Attend classes: The best way to solidify your concepts and information of geometry is to attend all the lectures given by your teacher. If you skip classes, it is quite difficult to understand the technicalities related with the subject. Make sure that you ask your teachers doubts in case any concept is not clear. Do not hesitate or don’t think that your peers will undermine your abilities when you raise a question. Rather, there is a fair chance that someone else will also get their doubts cleared on a certain topic when you ask.
- Draw diagrams: Geometry is the mathematics of shape and angles. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words and so, visualize the problem and draw the diagram. Relationships of vertically opposite angles, adjacent angles, bisectors etc. can be easily understood if drawn on a piece of paper.
- Learn the basic concepts: The basic terms needs to be understood for solving the complex problems. For example, learn and understand to distinguish between a line and a line segment. A line segment can be drawn by joining two points while a line a straight line segment that can be continued in either direction indefinitely. Some of the terms and definitions that are must learn for soling geometrical problems are rays, segment, vertex, symmetry, rhombus and trapezoid.
- Different angles, lines and triangles: In geometry, the types of angles are obtuse, acute and right angle. Obtuse is the one that measures greater than 90 degree; angle which measures less than 90 degree is acute and the one which is 90 degree is the right angle. Added to this, there are complimentary and supplementary angles.
Similarly, lines can be parallel, perpendicular or intersecting. For instance, parallel lines can never be intersecting lines. Draw different types of lines and learn the difference between them.
Different types of triangles are scalene, isosceles, equilateral, congruent, similar triangles. Knowing these types of triangles will help you to identify properties and postulates.Triangles can be classified on the basis of angles also.
- Remember SOH-CAH-TOA: SOH-CAH-TOA is a mnemonic device which is used to remember the basic formula involving sine, cosine and tangent in a right triangle.
Sine= Opposite side/Hypotenuse, Cosine = Adjacent/Hypotenuse, and Tangent = Opposite side/ Adjacent side. Mnemonics helps you to memorize the formulas in a way that will not forget.
Refer online materials: Instances when you get stuck while solving problems, you can refer to various online portals that provide tricks and solutions to almost all the problems. Geometry of class 11 is popularly known to be complex. In case of any doubts look for Class 11 maths NCERT solutions on Google and a lot of study websites will be recommended to you.